- The Smithsonian Folklife Festival happens on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. June 29-July 4 and July 6-9. Featured themes are Circus Arts, Migration, and the Festival’s 50th Anniversary. Over the years, tradition bearers from over 90 countries have been invited to share their cultural expressions with the public. If you’re in the Northeast, consider soaking in this time-tested celebration, an international festival of living heritage with daily programs of music, dance, cooking demonstrations, storytelling, folk arts, and more.
- Learn to identify, harvest, and prepare delicious recipes using abundant summer greens like verdolagas, amaranth, tumbleweed on July 6 at the Desert Harvest Demo Series with Jill Lorenzini. A Desert Harvesters event presented by the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona. Location: Santa Cruz River Farmers’ Market, Mercado San Agustín, 100 S. Avenido del Convento in Tucson. Free and open to the public, 4-7 pm.
- The Heard Museum celebrates First Friday in July (July 7) with the Fiesta de Frida in Honor of Frida’s 110th Birthday. The event highlights the Phoenix Fridas, an award winning Phoenix-based Latina artists collective, who will showcase and sell their art through the evening. General admission to the museum is free, except for Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera exhibition ($7). 6-9pm.
- On July 12, The Loft Cinema’s Social Justice Summer series presents Who is Dayani Cristal? This documentary from director Marc Silver and producer Gael Garcia Bernal looks at the immigration issue from the point of view of border crossers themselves. Panelist: Robin Reineke, PhD, co-founder and Executive Director of the Colibri Center for Human Rights. Free. 7:30pm. Global Justice Center, 225 E. 26th Street, Tucson.
- Celebrate the 3rd anniversary of the Tucson Modern Street car with Jimmy Carr and The Awkward Moments and the annual Rhythm Ride on July 22. Presented by KXCI, Sun Link, and Main Gate Square present. Be entertained by live music while riding the streetcar FREE from the Mercado station on Avenida Del Convento through downtown Tucson to Main Gate Square. 6-9 pm. More information at KXCI.org, MainGateSquare.com or Sunlinkstreetcar.com.